Do we have a special treat for you this Valentine's Day!? It involves stout, chocolate and coconut - why it's our favourite brownie recipe. So pick up some beer, get baking, and make share to share with some rad people this Valentines Day.
COCONUT STOUT BROWNIES
Ingredients (find organic and local products wherever you can):
2 oz Semi-bittersweet Chocolate
2/3 c Unsalted Butter (can sub in some coconut oil for extra coconut-ness)
9 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3 Large Eggs
1.5 c Granulated Sugar
3/4 c All purpose Flour
1.5 tbsp Cornstarch
Pinch of Salt
1/3 c Stout (may we suggest Winterlong's Neptune Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout w/ Coconut)
1/2 c Walnuts, Pecans or Macadamia Nuts (optional)
1/2 c Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 c Toasted Coconut
1) Preheat oven to 325 F.
2) Grease a 12 inch square cake pan.
3) Melt butter and chocolate pieces in a double boiler (or metal bowl suspended over a pot of simmering water). Stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool.
4) In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until thick and fluffy. Gently fold in the cooled chocolate mixture.
5) In another larger mixing bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add the chocolate and egg mixture to the flour, mixing well, then add the beer, nuts and chocolate chips. Stir everything until well mixed.
6) Transfer the mix to the greased pan and sprinkle with the toasted coconut on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. It's best when the centre can still be a little loose when ready to keep in that moist.
7) Let cool and then cut into squares. Pour yourself a beer to go with it, and voila!
ENJOY WITH our NEPTUNE STOUT or try something a bit sweeter and stronger, DIVINE INTERVENTION Barrel Aged Belgian-Tripel.
For a vegan recipe, try these VEGAN STOUT BROWNIES at one of the best food & beer blogs there is: The Beeroness!